Born: March 31, 2009 @ 7:16 pm
Weight: 7 lbs 11 oz
Length: 21 inches
Well, after last looking at my ticker counter, I realized quite a few of you have been checking the blog to see if I've posted anything. Sorry for the delay, but it's been a VERY busy week! I've actually been writing this post for 4 days and finishing it just now. Here is the birth story...
Monday night, we arrived at Mercy at 7 pm. We had to wait for about an hour until we were checked into our room. I was given an ID bracelet and asked to change into my gown. We got situated and the nurse did her first check with me. I was hooked up to fetal and contraction monitors. I was given my first dose of Cytotec which they have to go up "you know where". I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart before even being given the drug, but they weren't strong enough (I couldn't even tell I was having them) so they decided to still give it to me. After a couple hours, there was no change in dilation so they gave me another dose. I started to feel contractions at this point (11 pm) but was still not making progress. I did not sleep well at all throughout the night. I am pretty sure it was just that I had a lot on my mind. I got maybe 15 minutes of sleep throughout the night. It's hard because there are nurses coming in to check my vitals and see if I need anything. They decided not to give me an additional dose of the drug since my contractions were stronger and still about 2 minutes apart. At 7 am I still had not made much progress. I was still 1 cm but now 90% effaced. They decided to start the pitocin drip, so I received my IV around 8 am. I was having stronger contractions after receiving the pitocin but at two different checks, the only progress I made was 100% effacement, but still only 1 cm dilated. As they increased the pitocin, I started having much stronger contractions and for about 4 or 5 hours, I was in a lot of pain, trying to work my way through them. I mainly used the birthing ball and had a heating pad on my back and Justin behind me rubbing and applying pressure. The contractions at this point were REALLY strong and less than a minute apart. The contractions would last about 1 1/2 minutes and then I'd get maybe a 20 second break and the next would start. The pain got to be too unbearable and I requested the epidural. I was nervous it would hurt, but it didn't at all. I was just relieved to finally have a break and I was completely exhausted. I was checked shortly after receiving my epidural and still had made no progress. All of that work and nothing! My doc decided to help me out a bit and she was able to break my water and dilate me manually to a 3. This is when we had our first scare. Only minutes after receiving my epidural and being checked, the baby's heartrate dropped from a steady 120 bpm baseline to 60 bpm. It stayed that way for a couple of minutes until the nurse called for backup, had me get on hands and knees in bed and administer oxygen. I tried not to completely freak out because I knew that would only make matters worse, so I just listened to the doctors and breathed in the oxygen slow and deep. Luckily, his heartrate increased back to normal and I was able to lay down again. Unfortunately, this ended up happening 2 or 3 more times in a 3 hour period and we discussed the possibility of a C-section. I received an internal fetal monitor to better guage the baby's heartrate. It seemed if I was laying on my left side, it may have been putting pressure on the umbilical cord and decreasing the oxygen flow to the baby. So, after this happened for about the fourth time, my doctor sat down with me and said "I think it's time". I was very open to everything and know that the docs know best. I wasn't making any progress for several hours, I was exhausted, and the baby kept losing oxygen which was very scary. So, we opted for a C-section and within only minutes, Justin received his scrub gown and I was being wheeled into the OR. It was crazy how quickly they set up. Only 10 minutes or so and LOTS of staff in the room. I was being drugged up with a high dose of epidural and the room was ready. Justin came in and sat by my side as my entire body shook uncontrollably from all of the drugs. I was balling from having no sleep, hormones, exhaustion, and the drugs. Once they put Landen near my face, I was instantly in love. Tears of joy were streaming down my face and the feeling of relief swept over me. I was so happy to see him there, safe and healthy. Justin snapped a few graphic photos of C-section, but I will not be posting those! Justin got to watch them snip the cord and participate in the initial cleaning and assessment. I was curious how much he weighed, but had to stay while they stitched me up. When I found out he was only 7 lbs 11 oz, I was shocked. I thought for sure he would be an 8 pounder. I was amazed at how beautiful he was. So perfect. My little angel. Along with falling in love with my new son, I think I fell more in love with Justin than ever before. It was such an amazing feeling to have a family together and I felt our marriage grow stronger right then and there. Justin was an amazing coach throughout the labor and surgery. He was very considerate, calming, attentive and willing to do anything to help me out. After the surgery, I was wheeled to a new room for recovery. Justin had transferred everything from our original room to the new room. I just laid there, shaking uncontrollably and Justin came in to help stabalize my body and calm me down. The nurse kept trying to get blood pressure checks but couldn't get a reading since I couldn't stop shaking. After about an hour, the shaking had calmed down and I was ready to have a few friends and family come see me. I felt completely out of it, entirely spent, and swollen. All of the fluids they pumped in me and all the crying left me feeling huge. It was honestly the hardest and scariest thing I've ever gone through but looking back, I would do it all over again, just to have this amazing little miracle in my life. He is so precious and such a joy. He makes me so happy. I know they say people can't imagine life without their kids once they have them and all I can say is, I completely agree. Even when he's away from me for just 5 minutes, I miss him so much. We were discharged from the hospital on Friday, after 5 long days. Landen was checked out by the pediatricians every day since he was born and was very healthy. He got an 8/9 apgar score which is very good and was feeding well. Unfortunately, with a C-section, it takes longer for your milk to come in, so Landen lost 10% of his body weight (which is very common)and weighed only 6 lbs 15 oz at discharge. They asked me to supplement with some formula until he started to gain weight and had me set up an appt. with the pediatrician the next day. On Saturday, we learned Landen had weighed 7 lbs 2 oz, he gained 3 ounces in one day! The pediatrician was amazed and said "you don't need to supplement anymore, we only needed him to gain 1 ounce and he gained 3!" I was thrilled. I think my milk had just come in the day I was discharged, so he was receiving LOTS of food. =)
The past week has been a lot of fun! I always hear horror stories about extreme exhaustion and frustration during the first couple of weeks. Maybe it hasn't been long enough yet but I am loving every moment and every minute of each day that passes with Landen in my life. I don't notice that I'm tired and I actually have a lot of energy. I'm always moving around the house, taking walks, cleaning, just happy and chipper. I'm very busy, but it's a fantastic busy. What keeps me busy is nursing and just holding and staring at him. I kiss him probably 2,000 times a day. He makes me laugh and I'm getting to know and predict his cries. Justin is a wonderful father and husband. He is really supportive, making me breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and cookies tonight!), he gets me anything I need for me or the baby. He is getting the hang of changing diapers, clothes, and burping and you can tell he is absolutely in love with his son. He says all the time, "He's soooo cute! I love him!" We've both been in the best moods and are loving having Landen at home with us. Shyla has also taken a liking to Landen. They are getting along wonderfully and it seems Shyla has become somewhat protective of him. When I'm nursing Landen in the glider in the nursery, she comes and lays on the floor next to us with her head facing the door as if a watchful guard dog. When Landen cries, she comes running to check on him. She also will cuddle with him (when supervised!) and it's the most precious thing ever.
Instead of attaching separate pics (which would take forever), I've uploaded a bunch onto a slideshow (above). Enjoy!
Also, we are happy to have visitors at any time now that we've had some time to settle in. If you'd like to come over and meet the newest Callisto, please call me or Justin and we will arrange some time for a visit. Thanks for all of the well wishes! We are very happy!
Monday night, we arrived at Mercy at 7 pm. We had to wait for about an hour until we were checked into our room. I was given an ID bracelet and asked to change into my gown. We got situated and the nurse did her first check with me. I was hooked up to fetal and contraction monitors. I was given my first dose of Cytotec which they have to go up "you know where". I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart before even being given the drug, but they weren't strong enough (I couldn't even tell I was having them) so they decided to still give it to me. After a couple hours, there was no change in dilation so they gave me another dose. I started to feel contractions at this point (11 pm) but was still not making progress. I did not sleep well at all throughout the night. I am pretty sure it was just that I had a lot on my mind. I got maybe 15 minutes of sleep throughout the night. It's hard because there are nurses coming in to check my vitals and see if I need anything. They decided not to give me an additional dose of the drug since my contractions were stronger and still about 2 minutes apart. At 7 am I still had not made much progress. I was still 1 cm but now 90% effaced. They decided to start the pitocin drip, so I received my IV around 8 am. I was having stronger contractions after receiving the pitocin but at two different checks, the only progress I made was 100% effacement, but still only 1 cm dilated. As they increased the pitocin, I started having much stronger contractions and for about 4 or 5 hours, I was in a lot of pain, trying to work my way through them. I mainly used the birthing ball and had a heating pad on my back and Justin behind me rubbing and applying pressure. The contractions at this point were REALLY strong and less than a minute apart. The contractions would last about 1 1/2 minutes and then I'd get maybe a 20 second break and the next would start. The pain got to be too unbearable and I requested the epidural. I was nervous it would hurt, but it didn't at all. I was just relieved to finally have a break and I was completely exhausted. I was checked shortly after receiving my epidural and still had made no progress. All of that work and nothing! My doc decided to help me out a bit and she was able to break my water and dilate me manually to a 3. This is when we had our first scare. Only minutes after receiving my epidural and being checked, the baby's heartrate dropped from a steady 120 bpm baseline to 60 bpm. It stayed that way for a couple of minutes until the nurse called for backup, had me get on hands and knees in bed and administer oxygen. I tried not to completely freak out because I knew that would only make matters worse, so I just listened to the doctors and breathed in the oxygen slow and deep. Luckily, his heartrate increased back to normal and I was able to lay down again. Unfortunately, this ended up happening 2 or 3 more times in a 3 hour period and we discussed the possibility of a C-section. I received an internal fetal monitor to better guage the baby's heartrate. It seemed if I was laying on my left side, it may have been putting pressure on the umbilical cord and decreasing the oxygen flow to the baby. So, after this happened for about the fourth time, my doctor sat down with me and said "I think it's time". I was very open to everything and know that the docs know best. I wasn't making any progress for several hours, I was exhausted, and the baby kept losing oxygen which was very scary. So, we opted for a C-section and within only minutes, Justin received his scrub gown and I was being wheeled into the OR. It was crazy how quickly they set up. Only 10 minutes or so and LOTS of staff in the room. I was being drugged up with a high dose of epidural and the room was ready. Justin came in and sat by my side as my entire body shook uncontrollably from all of the drugs. I was balling from having no sleep, hormones, exhaustion, and the drugs. Once they put Landen near my face, I was instantly in love. Tears of joy were streaming down my face and the feeling of relief swept over me. I was so happy to see him there, safe and healthy. Justin snapped a few graphic photos of C-section, but I will not be posting those! Justin got to watch them snip the cord and participate in the initial cleaning and assessment. I was curious how much he weighed, but had to stay while they stitched me up. When I found out he was only 7 lbs 11 oz, I was shocked. I thought for sure he would be an 8 pounder. I was amazed at how beautiful he was. So perfect. My little angel. Along with falling in love with my new son, I think I fell more in love with Justin than ever before. It was such an amazing feeling to have a family together and I felt our marriage grow stronger right then and there. Justin was an amazing coach throughout the labor and surgery. He was very considerate, calming, attentive and willing to do anything to help me out. After the surgery, I was wheeled to a new room for recovery. Justin had transferred everything from our original room to the new room. I just laid there, shaking uncontrollably and Justin came in to help stabalize my body and calm me down. The nurse kept trying to get blood pressure checks but couldn't get a reading since I couldn't stop shaking. After about an hour, the shaking had calmed down and I was ready to have a few friends and family come see me. I felt completely out of it, entirely spent, and swollen. All of the fluids they pumped in me and all the crying left me feeling huge. It was honestly the hardest and scariest thing I've ever gone through but looking back, I would do it all over again, just to have this amazing little miracle in my life. He is so precious and such a joy. He makes me so happy. I know they say people can't imagine life without their kids once they have them and all I can say is, I completely agree. Even when he's away from me for just 5 minutes, I miss him so much. We were discharged from the hospital on Friday, after 5 long days. Landen was checked out by the pediatricians every day since he was born and was very healthy. He got an 8/9 apgar score which is very good and was feeding well. Unfortunately, with a C-section, it takes longer for your milk to come in, so Landen lost 10% of his body weight (which is very common)and weighed only 6 lbs 15 oz at discharge. They asked me to supplement with some formula until he started to gain weight and had me set up an appt. with the pediatrician the next day. On Saturday, we learned Landen had weighed 7 lbs 2 oz, he gained 3 ounces in one day! The pediatrician was amazed and said "you don't need to supplement anymore, we only needed him to gain 1 ounce and he gained 3!" I was thrilled. I think my milk had just come in the day I was discharged, so he was receiving LOTS of food. =)
The past week has been a lot of fun! I always hear horror stories about extreme exhaustion and frustration during the first couple of weeks. Maybe it hasn't been long enough yet but I am loving every moment and every minute of each day that passes with Landen in my life. I don't notice that I'm tired and I actually have a lot of energy. I'm always moving around the house, taking walks, cleaning, just happy and chipper. I'm very busy, but it's a fantastic busy. What keeps me busy is nursing and just holding and staring at him. I kiss him probably 2,000 times a day. He makes me laugh and I'm getting to know and predict his cries. Justin is a wonderful father and husband. He is really supportive, making me breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and cookies tonight!), he gets me anything I need for me or the baby. He is getting the hang of changing diapers, clothes, and burping and you can tell he is absolutely in love with his son. He says all the time, "He's soooo cute! I love him!" We've both been in the best moods and are loving having Landen at home with us. Shyla has also taken a liking to Landen. They are getting along wonderfully and it seems Shyla has become somewhat protective of him. When I'm nursing Landen in the glider in the nursery, she comes and lays on the floor next to us with her head facing the door as if a watchful guard dog. When Landen cries, she comes running to check on him. She also will cuddle with him (when supervised!) and it's the most precious thing ever.
Instead of attaching separate pics (which would take forever), I've uploaded a bunch onto a slideshow (above). Enjoy!
Also, we are happy to have visitors at any time now that we've had some time to settle in. If you'd like to come over and meet the newest Callisto, please call me or Justin and we will arrange some time for a visit. Thanks for all of the well wishes! We are very happy!
No comments:
Post a Comment